sharing files between computers

vandy99 22:01 19 Jan 2007

Hey guys,
I'm trying to move some mp3 files from my desktop to laptop, they are connected on the same network through a router and they are in the same workgroup MSHOME. The desktop is running the Windows XP Pro operating system and the laptop is running Windows XP Media Center. I've turned off the firewall for both machines. When I go to access the desktop (XP PRO) from the laptop(XP Media Center), it says that I do not have the proper rights to access this network resource and to talk to my administrator, i am admin on both of the machines. Now, when i try to access the laptop from the desktop i get a dialog box that asks for a username and password, now I'm not even sure what to use as the user name for this, but I do not even get this dialog box to come up when i try to access the desktop from the laptop. And ultimately I want to move the mp3 files from the desktop to the laptop so i need to get around these permissions or whatever and I have no idea what to do , I'm stuck....anybody got any knowledge?

woodchip 22:14 19 Jan 2007

When you setup the Network did you have both computers turned on? If not, that is the problem. As I had the problem and someone in PCA Networking Forum put me on the right track to modify it.

This should do it.

In the "problem" PC, check out this setting in the registry. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Lsa

look for a DWORD "restrictanonymous" and see what the value is. If it is anything other than 0 (zero), right click the DWORD, select MODIFY and change the decimal value to 0 (zero).

A word of warning, there is a DWORD "restictanonymoussam" just below the one you want - DO NOT change this.

Close regedit and reboot the computer.

vandy99 01:31 20 Jan 2007

alright thanks, i'll try that out and post

vandy99 01:36 20 Jan 2007

on my laptop that is set to zero
and the laptop is one that says that i dont have the right permissions to access the desktop

beeuuem 03:01 20 Jan 2007

Although you say that the computers are networked is the network working?
Have you set the folder you want to copy from as a shared folder?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?