Sharing a dial up connection

rodriguez 14:53 02 Dec 2006

Is there any way I can share a dial up connection between 2 PCs using a BT Voyager 200 router? My broadband's been changed to Sky and they haven't sent the new router yet so I use dial up for now, but I could do with it on both PCs as I threw out the dial up modem from 1 of them when I had broadband.

Taff™ 18:56 02 Dec 2006

BT Voyager 200 is a broadband router and therefore not suitable for a dial up method of connection. You mean to use a dial up modem which is available on one of the computers (You threw the external modem out for the other one) and the answer is No.

As a short term alternative set up the same account on the working computer but set OE to "leave a copy on the server" for all messages. When you eventually get broadband those messages will be delivered to the other computer as well.

ed-0 19:06 02 Dec 2006

If one of the machines has a dial up modem and they both have a lan port, then you could setup a network with a rj45 crossover cable. If you have one.

One machine will strangle the connection while thother will run very slow.

rodriguez 19:19 03 Dec 2006

The way I have it is one computer with a dial up connection which is connected to the router with an RJ45 cable (can't remember if it's a crossover or straight, it might be straight) and the router is then connected to the other computer via USB. The cable isn't long enough to connect both computers direct, so that's why i have the router still plugged in in the middle.

mgmcc 21:39 03 Dec 2006

To be honest, with "dialup" you are probably as well to plug the modems from both computers into the phone line and then connect with whichever computer you happen to be using. This can be done with dialup where you cannot do it with ADSL modems.

rodriguez 22:18 03 Dec 2006

The problem is only the 1 computer has a dial up modem in it - and that's my dad's (which he always uses). Also this modem is an AMR type and I only have a CNR slot on my motherboard so it doesn't fit. Anyway, I found a temporary solution. I'm now using my Dreamcast to connect to the dial up Internet. Have to use the American PlanetWeb browser so I can put the dial up ISP details in as DreamKey no longer connects. Also using the Dreamcast keyboard, because as you can imagine, typing posts on the on-screen keyboard would take forever. So now I'm using the Internet through te TV and although it's not brilliant at least it works. :-D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?