sharing broadband with a second dt computer

bensdad 16:15 17 Oct 2004

I have my pc (dell 4700) some 15 mts away from my wifes pc (amd duron750) I would like to enable her to use the broadband facillity.The dell has an Intel Pro/100ve card installed. I was considering putting that to one side and buying a belkin or linksys kit. could any kind person guide me as to the most stable economically priced way of going forward?

bensdad

Noelg23 16:18 17 Oct 2004

I would keep the card in your PC and get one for your wife...also get a network cable that is at least 20mtrs and away you go...of course if you have cash to splash then go wireless...I am sure someone else who has done this will tell you more...but thats what I would do...

AndySD 16:51 17 Oct 2004

How do you connect to Broadband?

USB Modem or connected to the network card. Is it AOL?

Do you want your wifes pc to connect to the internet if your pc is off?

bensdad 19:44 17 Oct 2004

the connection is usb, the provider is onetel and it is most likely that she will need to access her mail when I not there

bensdad 19:44 17 Oct 2004

the connection is usb, the provider is onetel and it is most likely that she will need to access her mail when I not there

easyrider 16:05 18 Oct 2004

I would go wireless if wifes computer is in another room. All you would need is a wireless network card for wifes computer and as your wife needs to access internet when you are not there a wireless modem/router to connect to your computer.

AndySD 20:56 18 Oct 2004

If you are happy to use cable then you need a modem router like click here or click here and rj45 patch (not crossover) cable long enough to connect to your wifes pc. Check as often these have one network cable included which will be for your pc. Both the ones above have a built in firewall.

easyrider 18:43 24 Dec 2004

Please tick if resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?