Sharing Broadband via Products from Argos!

  Nick052 21:13 22 Sep 2005


I have done a search on this forum since I want to know how to share a Telewest broadband connection in one bedroom with another PC in the attic using a wireless method. However this has left me confused.

I have read a lot about routers and network cards and basically came to the conclusion that in order to do this, the receiving PC needs a network card in it (along with the router obviously in the sending PC).

However, I then opened the Argos book (page 1077 to be precise). This states that ALL you need is a Wireless Broadband Router for around £79.99 (high speed one), then a High-Speed USB adapter in EACH PC (at a cost of £24.99 each). It says nothing about network cards or anything like that.

I am only interested in using a wireless method for doing this, and will only ever be sharing the main internet connection with one other PC.

My question really is; is all I require a Wireless Broadband Router, then 2 USB wireless USB 2 adapters? I have enough USB ports to do this. Why do you also need a USB2 adapter in the SENDING PC as well as the receiving one?

Assuming you do need 2 USB adapters, this comes to a total of £129.99 for the high speed 125MB option. The 54MB option is £109.99.

Would I ever notice a REAL difference with the faster option?

Cheers for any advice on this! I have fixed and given advice on tonnes of stuff relating to my girlfriends PC, but am a TOTAL novice on this!!

  alexgray104 21:38 22 Sep 2005

If your Broadband router is connected in the sending pc you wont't need a network card in there, just the recieving machine(s). Argos price bad though, I got mine from click here and come to a total of £75 for router and 2 adaptors (main pc, 2 laptops)

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 22 Sep 2005

If you have 1 pc already connectd to the internet you can set an "ad hoc" wireless network with another PC and share the internet connection.

All you need s a wireless device in each PC.

The devices can be a network card, external device like a USB wireless adapter or combinatiom of the two, approx £20 each.

I,m running this set up with a wireless card in the main PC and usb adapter in the second PC and sharing the internet connction from the ADSL USB Modem on the main PC

click here

  Nick052 21:51 22 Sep 2005

So the receiving PC WILL need a network card. Its a new PC (2 months old, so chances are it may have one already?

The sending PC with broadband already on it is old and has Windows ME.

I had a feeling Argos's price would be pretty bad; just dont want to get the equipment, find it doesn't work for some reason, then be stuck not being able to take it back!

  JYPX 21:57 22 Sep 2005

I have just spotted wireless routers for sale in Tesco! They have 2 versions, one of which is for your ntl/telewest modem. And USB adaptors.....

  Nick052 22:02 22 Sep 2005

So why does the receiving PC need a network card if all you do is plug the adapter into the USB port? Why don't Argos say that the receiving computer needs a network card?

Will have a look at Tescos!

  fitshase 22:40 22 Sep 2005

If you have the telewest broadband modem which plugs into your computer using a non-usb plug then you already have a network card installed.

You then have 2 options:-

Option 1
Buy a wireless router and wireless usb adaptor. Plug the modem into the router, the router into the main computer (the one currently connected to the broadband). Then, plug the wireless USB adaptor into the other computer, run the setup and it should all work. You can now surf the web on both computers at any time.

Option 2
Buy 2 wireless USB adaptors. Plug one in each computer and set up an ad-hoc network between them. Set up internet connection sharing (easy on XP - use the wizard) and, as long as the computer connected to the broadband is switched on, you can surf on both computers. If it is not on then you cannot.

If you have the broadband modem as a usb connection then Option 2 still applies. For Option 1, however, you can buy a USB-CAT5 adaptor which may or may not work.

Also, the Argos page you refer to shows ADSL modem routers which may not work with cable broadband (different technology) as you already have the modem from telewest - not sure on this though.

Have a look at PCWorld or your local independent computer shop. PCWorld have some good prices(search on their website for product codes 886496, 882740 for routers or 123014 for a bundle). You are best off buying from somewhere with a bit of computer knowledge as opposed to Argos who will have no support network/personnel.



  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:26 22 Sep 2005

Simple networking explained click here

  Nick052 08:43 23 Sep 2005

Can I just confirm that Windows ME supports Internet Connection Sharing?

The shared PC has XP so no probs with that one.


  mgmcc 08:53 23 Sep 2005

>>> Can I just confirm that Windows ME supports Internet Connection Sharing? <<<

Yes, ICS is supported from Widows 98 "Second Edition" onwards, but is very much easier to set up if Windows XP is the "Host" PC.

>>> The shared PC has XP so no probs with that one. <<<

The "Client" PC's version of Windows doesn't matter because ICS must NOT be enabled in it. It just gets internet access over the LAN from the Host's shared connection.

  mgmcc 09:01 23 Sep 2005

To create a wireless network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Wireless Network Adapter in each PC and create an “Ad Hoc” Wireless Network. This is a network in which the two PCs talk directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address and subnet mask However, as you will be using a WiFi adapter, you want this address to be allocated to it, rather than a “wired” Ethernet adapter if you have one fitted, so the Local Area Connection should be disabled before setting up “Internet Connection Sharing”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than one computer is to use a broadband Router. This is an ”Infrastructure” wireless network because the connected PCs communicate via the router’s Wireless Access Point. Again, a wireless adapter is installed in any PC that needs to connect wirelessly, but often the main PC is close enough to the router for it to use a “wired” connection with only the remote PC connecting wirelessly

With a router, it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing wirelessly across the network.

If you are running software firewalls, the IP addresses of the networked PCs must be put into its "trusted" area to allow them to communicate with one another.


If you do decide to get a Wireless Router for use with Telewest Cable broadband, be very careful to get a "stand-alone" router which connects by ethernet cable to Telewest's Cable Modem, NOT a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" as this is ONLY for use with ADSL over the phone line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires