Sharing Broadband Over a Network

Neophyle 04:12 14 Mar 2004

morning all,

I hope someone can help! I have 2 computers at home and one connection to Telewest Blueyonder.

I want to be able to share the connection between the 2 systems (both running Win 2K) I have a Mercury 8 port Switch and a Router. The router alone does not seem to work for one reason or another hence the purchase of the switch.

For reasons unknown to me, the Switch did not come with ANY instructions although purchased brand new.

Would just like some advice please as to how to get this connection shared once and for all.

What plugs into where etc.

Any help will be much appreciated!!

J

ianeon 06:25 14 Mar 2004

Does this help? How to Network Two Computers
Question: How do I establish a link between two computers using a NetGear switch? Or USB? Or LAN cables (crossover, etc.)? - Joseph F.
Answer: As you already seem to know, there are a number of different ways you can connect two Windows computers to transfer files and perform other networking tasks. The least expensive way is probably to use an Ethernet network cable labeled a "crossover" cable (so named because the wires are "crossed over" so that the two ends are different from one another. You can even make your own, see:
click here
This works okay as long as only two computers need to be networked. Each computer needs an Ethernet adapter (also called a Network Interface Card or NIC). This can be a PCI card, or if you don't want to open the case, it can be a USB Ethernet adapter. For laptops that don't have an Ethernet connector built in, you can use a PCMCIA (PC card) adapter. One end of the cable plugs into each computer's Ethernet adapter.
If you want three or more systems on the network, you should buy a hub or switch. The hub is less expensive, but the switch is more efficient. Plug an Ethernet cable (not a crossover) into each computer's NIC, and plug the other end into a port on the hub or switch. You'll then need to configure the networking properties for each computer. In Control Panel | Network Connections, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Ensure that Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and TCP/IP are installed and their checkboxes checked in the scrolling text box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?