Sharing Broadband Connection

  Gary 21:03 08 May 2003

I am thinking of getting a broadband connection at home. I currently have two computers which are networked together directly with a crossover cable (i.e. no hub). My main computer would be directly connected to the broadband line and I want to use internet connection sharing to allow the other PC to access it. I have read that the best way to do this is to use a router, as the computers can then connect independently. However, I cannot add a router to the network because I don't have standard CAT5 cable but crossover patch cable.

If I just use WinXP Internet Connection sharing, will the second PC be able to connect to the internet directly, assuming that the main PC is powered up, or would it be necessary to log on to the internet using the main PC before accessing it from the second?

  Eagie 21:23 08 May 2003

I have two computers and a USB broadband modem.

The two computers are networked in the same ways as yours(using XP's network setup prog) and both access the internet through the broadband connection. All this way means is that my main machine with the modem attached has to be on for the other machine to accesss the internet. A router would allow for both machines to access the broadband connection even when the other is switched off but as I rarely switch my main machine off this holds no real benefit for me.

  Gary 22:28 08 May 2003

When you say your main machine has to be on - do you have to establish a connection with that machine before using the internet on the other computer or can you connect directly from the other machine?

  jazzypop 22:37 08 May 2003

"However, I cannot add a router to the network because I don't have standard CAT5 cable but crossover patch cable."

Don't dismiss the router option too quickly. Many (most) domestic market routers now have 'auto sensing' ports that will allow the use of straight-through or crossover cabling. Even if your choice does not, for about £2 you can buy a crossover adaptor. This connects to one end of an Ethernet cable, and changes a straight-through to crossover, or vice-versa.

If you can afford it, the flexibility offered by a router is definitely a better option than having to have both PCs left powered on.

  Gary 23:32 08 May 2003

I'm very interested in what you say here. A router would be a good option, but I just thought that I couldn't have any type of hub at all now I have crossover cable. Having taken the landing floorboards up once to lay the cable, I don't really want to do so again! Could you possibly give me any more information about routers that would work with this CAT5 crossover cable? (Perhaps with a recommendation as to specific products?)

Also, can anyone confirm the point I mentioned above - if I use WinXP internet connection sharing, does the machine that is directly connected to the line have to make the connection first before the other machines can share it, or can the connection be established from any client machine?

Thanks in advance,

  Eagie 23:41 08 May 2003

The 2nd computer can initiate the internet connection. It forces my main machine to connect.

  mrdsgs 23:43 08 May 2003

with broadband the whole point is that no machine has to "make a connection" with the internet.

When the main machine boots up it connects to broadband internet automatically and shares it with other computers on the network as soon as they switch on.

thus with the main mqachine on, simply by switching the second machine on and clicking your internet icon you will connect automatically

all this assumes you have correctly set up shares for network internet access.

  Gary 13:06 09 May 2003

Can anyone confirm which type of routers jazzypop is referring to that would allow me to continue using my CAT5 crossover cable?

  fitshase 14:42 09 May 2003

You can buy an adapter that converts a crossover cable into a straight-through cable.

- Go to click here

- Type in Crossover Adaptor in the search box



  Gary 00:05 10 May 2003

I've had a look at the website you suggest above (Maplins) and the adaptor it finds when I search is to make a cable into a crossover rather than make it "normal" non-crossover. Will it work both ways?

  jazzypop 00:38 10 May 2003

As I said "This connects to one end of an Ethernet cable, and changes a straight-through to crossover, or vice-versa."

A crossover adaptor will convert an existing straight-through connection to a crossover connection, or a crossover connection to a straight-through.

See click here for an explanation (the whole article is useful, this is the most relevant page).

In a straight-through cable, the orange and green pairs of wires terminate in the same pins at each end. In a crossover cable, the orange and green pairs get reversed.

The crossover adaptor is essentially a short length of crossover cable.

So, your orange and green pairs are reversed at present ( a crossover cable). The crossover adaptor reverses them again, so that they end up in their original position ( a straight-through cable).

You don't say what type of broadband you are considering (ADSL or Cable) - look at the Netgear range of routers. If you will get Cable broadband, consider the FR114P - it has a built-in print server, which means that your printer connects to the router and is always available from either PC. See click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?