Shared Printer Not Working!

samesco 03:24 11 Jul 2006

Hi there,
I've got two PC running XP Home with a cross over cable between them. Internet sharing working beatifully. File sharing no problems and even printer sharing works ok except when the client pc is restarted the HP printer that is connected to host pc appears as "opening" in the printer and fax folder of the client PC. If i delete the printer and add it on again it works ok until the client pc restarts.
Any ideas?

thanks in advance

mgmcc 19:32 11 Jul 2006

What do you mean by "opening"?

Unless there are outstanding tasks in the print queue when the "client" computer boots, it shouldn't be trying to access the printer over the network.

samesco 02:57 12 Jul 2006

thanks for replying mgmcc.

when I go to the printer & faxes folders on client PC the HP printer shows under status "opening" instead of "ready".
the printer queue is empty.
thanks in advance

mgmcc 11:05 12 Jul 2006

It isn't an issue I've come across or seen discussed before. Try deleting the printer by right clicking it in the "Printers & Faxes" folder and selecting Delete. Then, with it still deleted, reboot the PC.

Open "My Network Places" and navigate to the printer in the *remote* PC. Double click its icon which should automatically install it as a network printer in the *local* PC. See if that makes any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?