Shared Memory

demon666 09:59 05 Oct 2007

I have just purchased a new laptop from Hp (9574ea) and it is using the Nvidia Geforce Go 8600M GS graphics card. It has 256mb dedicated ram but is also sharing just over 700mb from system ram. How do I get back my system ram when not playing games. Can not find anything to free memory in boot menu or graphics control panel. Can someone plase help.

crosstrainer 10:22 05 Oct 2007

Sure? 700mb of shared memory is not something I have encountered. The shared memory option is set in the BIOS these days, but the most I have ever seen is 128 never this high a value.

Is your graphics card onboard, or is it a seperate card? To check the shared memory settings enter your BIOS screen on boot up (usually by pressing the DEL key while the machine boots. Take care not to make any changes not related to the shared memory option or your machine may fail to boot.

demon666 19:07 05 Oct 2007

I have just tried to enter BIOS using Del but it did not work, do you know of any other way of entering BIOS. On specs of machine it states I can have up to 1023 memory (256 dedicated, 767 shared). graphics card is seperate. Have tried using the Nvidia control panel but can not find anything to do with shared memory.

Batch 19:12 05 Oct 2007

Are you sure it's DEL to enter BIOS? On some machines it's F8, others F2 etc. The required key is normally displayed at the bottom of the screen whilst the machine is doing its POST.

demon666 19:22 05 Oct 2007

Just re-started laptop and realised it was F10 but there is nothing under bios about shared memory for graphics but when I go into the nvidia control panel under system information it is statintg that I am using 767mb of system memory.

citadel 19:38 05 Oct 2007

it is all supposed to be done auto so there may be no way to alter it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?