Shared documents revert to read only

Craig22 21:25 28 Nov 2006

I have recently transferred all my documents from my old PC to a new one, both running XP. I am set up as the Administrator and the other 3 Users have Limited Accounts.

I can amend all documents in the Word and Excel shared folders, but they are coming up as 'Read Only' for the other users.

Tried re-installing MS Office which seemed to fix it but now the 'Read Only' is back.

Any suggestions?

Jackcoms 21:34 28 Nov 2006

"I can amend all documents in the Word and Excel shared folders, but they are coming up as 'Read Only' for the other users"

Which is the whole point of a Limited Account - they cannot make changes to shared system-wide resources which, in this case, includes Word and Excel files.

If they have their own files in their own My Documents folder, they will be editable by the Limited Account users.

Craig22 21:40 28 Nov 2006

That's never been the case in the past. Shared documents are surely available to everyone to read and amend.

I can understand that a Limited User wouldn't have access to change system configurations and install programs etc, but they have always been able to access and amend shared documents in the past.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?