shared broadband over a wireless network

gizzy 11:52 16 Mar 2003

I have a belkin wireless network conecting my desktop (connected to a wireless router) and laptop (connected to a laptop card). This works fine allowing shared files and printer sharing. My problem is I have a USB broadband modem connected to the desktop but cannot access the internet via the laptop.
I have tried everything to get it to work even installing Windows XP on the laptop (it was Windows 2000) which all the literature says should sort it out automatically.
When both computers are first switched on an icon does appear on the laptop start bar saying that BT broadband is connected and in `connections` in the control panel there is a bridged internet connection shown working correctly and is exchanging data with the desktop. However when I click on windows explorer it always comes up with the message that the page is unavailable off line.
I have tried reinstalling numerous times.
Can anyone offer any advice to get this to work?
Should I buy an ethernet modem to connect to my belkin router?
Should I buy the wireless combined wireless router and broadband modem now available from BT?
Should I pull my hair out and go and life in a cave?

Forum Editor 12:06 16 Mar 2003

It will work, we just need to clear the air on a couple of points.

If you have an existing dial up connection configured on the laptop you should delete it for the time being.

Now make sure that the Desktop broadband connection is configured so that the laptop can demand a connection if one doesn't exist. You do this by right clicking on the connection and selecting properties. Click on the advanced tab and put a tick in the box that says 'allow other network users etc............'

Then make sure there's no tick in the box that says 'allow other network users to control or disable etc...........'

Restart the desktop and establish a connection. Now start the laptop, and you should see Windows pick up the internet connection. Watch for the familiar small monitor icons - there'll be one for the wireless network and another for the broadband connection. Launch Internet Explorer and you should see the homepage load.

gizzy 12:23 16 Mar 2003

I have done all that but still it says the page cannot be displayed.
Should the box asking about establishing a dial up connection when anyone on the network etc... be checked?
The two icons are present and sure enough the broadband one is happily ticking along but explorer still will not establish a connection.
The title of the window is `cannot find server`
I suspect it is a devious plot by BT to destroy my life.

gizzy 13:37 16 Mar 2003

Having read other peoples similar problems I have disabled norton anti virus on the laptop and the desktop to see if this makes a diference but it does not make any difference.

jazzypop 14:33 16 Mar 2003

What firewalls do you have running? Do you have zonealarm / sygate etc, or XP's built-in firewall, running on either pc?

gizzy 16:24 16 Mar 2003

I only have the XP firewall but I have disabled this on the wireless connection. The firewall is enabled on the internet connection.

jazzypop 18:24 17 Mar 2003

Uninstall the firewall, check whether you then have access to the Web from both PCs. If so, when you reinstall the firewall it should detect the presence of the network and adjust itself to allow both PCs access.

If not, you will have to explicitly give permission to the 2nd PC - see the Help & Support section in XP for instructions.

Geordie_morley 20:18 17 Mar 2003

Is there a tick in the Internet Options, Connections, LAN settings, and use a proxy server? Cause this could cause it not to work.

Also, can you access your router config from the Laptop, if you can see if you can the IP address of your broadband Modem!

Let me know if this works...!

Shane!

Geordie_morley 20:21 17 Mar 2003

Is there a tick in the Internet Options, Connections, LAN settings, and use a proxy server? Cause this could cause it not to work.

Also, can you access your router config from the Laptop, if you can see if you can the IP address of your broadband Modem!

Let me know if this works...!

Shane!

Geordie_morley 20:22 17 Mar 2003

It complained that it didn't go, but it obviously did!

Shane!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?