share broadband connection - with laptop

jstaunton 18:41 17 Feb 2004

i have a cable modem with broadband connection. all is fine, my daughter are now running a rota as to who can use the internet. i want to be able to connect our laptop,( which is set up for the broadband connection if we unplug , from the main computor)and the main pc at the same time for independant internet access using just the one cable modem is the possible and what do i need to buy to do it.

georgemac 19:06 17 Feb 2004

click here for options have not got broadband yet, but when I do I am going to network our 2 pc's using a router and connect this to the cable modem - hardware firewall in router good for security

georgemac 19:11 17 Feb 2004

just to clarify, you can get stand alone router which will connect to cable modem, or you can get cable modem and combined router click here this one is a nice price and gets good reviews

georgemac 19:15 17 Feb 2004

click here excellent syand alone router but you would also need network cards for the pc and laptop if they do not already have them.

I think with the modem/router above you could connect both with a usb cable but not sure, wait for others to advise.

And it's worth reading the reviews at ebuyer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?