Shall i download service pack 3 on XP?

buel 15:00 31 Oct 2008

hi there, i currently have service pack 2 on XP, shall i download service pack 3? If so, how do i do this please?

Clapton is God 15:09 31 Oct 2008

"shall i download service pack 3?"

Yes.

"how do i do this please?" click here

Kalb 16:14 31 Oct 2008

Not everyone is as definite about downloading SP3
Be prepared for a few changes and maybe a few problems......I'm an old stick in the mud and have declined the offer to download because I like the 'Address' toolbar on the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop.
It is no longer available when you download SP3

Jollyjohn 16:40 31 Oct 2008

Create a restore point first!

buel 18:46 31 Oct 2008

Hi, iv tried and i get the message 'The expected version wan not found onyour system', any ideas please?

buel 18:48 31 Oct 2008

Hi, thanks to Kalb and Jollyjohn, could you please explain what you mean about the 'address' toolbar??

Kalb 09:36 01 Nov 2008

Buel
If you R click on the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop you are provided with a number of changes you can make....Time & Date.......Lock the Taskbar etc but the option at the top is Toolbars..unroll that and you can have a number options shown on the Taskbar including Address
This I find useful as you can type in Web addresses, files & folders etc directly without opening any programmes
Incidently you may care to cast your eye over the thread on this same page.....'SP3 - 2 Hours to download'

Belatucadrus 11:16 01 Nov 2008

I'm wary of recommending SP3, while none of the PC's I've installed it on have had problems, I know people whose machines have been brought to a crashing halt by it. So if you do decide to proceed, read the advisory that pops up before authorizing installation. Do backup, Do set a system restore, Do deactivate other running precesses, particularly security software. Cross fingers and hope for the best.

canarieslover 12:41 01 Nov 2008

I've now installed it on three machines with no problems at all. All are Intel processors and all have had automatic updates enabled. I downloaded the iso file and burnt it to disk and installed form there so that in future I have still got the file to hand when I have time to slipstream it into XP to upgrade my install disk. I have even noticed that where one machine was becoming slower to shut down that it has speeded up that process. If you really have doubts why not do a full image with Acronis first and then you have a Plan B if things do go wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?