sfc scannow vista 32 and 32 bit question

patso 21:06 07 Jun 2010

i have recently got an error on my vista system telling me to run sfc scannow to repair corrupt files.I only have a recovery partition but have borrowed a vist 64 bit dvd. i am using 32 bit on hp cq 64 dual core 3 gig ram vista 32 bit home premium. can i use this disc to run scannow or do i need a 32 bit dvd
any ideas welcome thanks

T I M B O 21:09 07 Jun 2010

Why dont u create ur own recovery dvd's as per instruction manuel

T I M B O 21:15 07 Jun 2010

Normally speaking you will need 2 x dvd or approx 7 cd's to backup ur operating system thats on a partition on ur hard drive.

I think it's time now that the companies that manufacture pc's to make the recover cd's yet again>> click here

patso 21:16 07 Jun 2010

i dont want to have to do a reinstall only replace the corrupt file.i have used scannow on xp with no problems and was hoping to do the same.how do you use recovery discs to replace the corrupt file?
Thanks TIMBO

T I M B O 21:22 07 Jun 2010

Did i mention a re install ???

All i said was, on your computer is a hidden partition of your operating system. You need to burn this to 2 x dvd's or 7 cd's approx so that you have a copy. What if your hard drive failed and u had to replace it?

Having numberd ur dvd's 1 & 2, put #1 in and start the system file checker.

Run command and type in sfc /scannow

T I M B O 21:23 07 Jun 2010

In answer to ur previous ?

I have no idea, but 32 & 64 bit os may have different .dll files. Best to use what came with the computer

patso 23:52 07 Jun 2010

ok thanks TIMBO, i am going to burn the dvds and do as you recommend,i will post back and let you know how i get on, thanks for the useful info

patso 00:07 08 Jun 2010

hi TIMBO i am doing as you suggested,am currently at creating files 25% when this disc is burned can i copy the burned disc as a back up as it said i can only do this once,thanks again for the replies and help

T I M B O 00:52 08 Jun 2010

You can only make one copy from the hidden partition.

patso 01:17 08 Jun 2010

ok im at the writing files to disk stage.what i mean is when all 3 discs are done can i make a copy of all 3 discs as back up just in case of losing any of the discs
thanks again T I M B O

T I M B O 09:19 08 Jun 2010

I don't see why not. But remember that these cd's you have just made are unique to your make & model of your pc, so hp recovery cd's will not work in a Sony pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017