sfc /scannow but only have a recovery disk

bill sykes 15:41 01 Jun 2004

A friend is having a problem with a win2000 system for the 2-3 days and I recommended running sfc. Unfortunately she only has a recovery disk, so what are our options, i.e. can we still repair any damaged files?

Also, does win 2000 have restore points that we could go back to:
Many thanks...

sil_ver 15:59 01 Jun 2004

I might be wrong but your windows files may be stored in a 'cabs' folder on the 'C' drive which you will need to point to when asked for W2000 disk. I don't think W2000 has a 'system restore' like XP.

rawprawn 17:53 01 Jun 2004

Can you borrow a full disc?

bill sykes 18:07 01 Jun 2004

Unfortunately we've no access to any install discs. Si_ver - sfc doesn't (on xp at least) give the chance to redirect else where. I have no idea which files, if any, need repairing so I can't use dos 'expand' either to get a file from the cabinet.

Thanks anyway for taking the trouble to reply.

Djohn 18:43 01 Jun 2004

You could try inserting the restore disk [If it's a CD] but when it appears on screen click on exit and reduce to the taskbar.

Click on Start/run and Type SFC /Scannow and it will look to the files on the disk if the disk carries a full version of XP and should ignore any other software that is on the disk.

spikeychris 19:19 01 Jun 2004
  bill sykes 22:38 01 Jun 2004

Thanks (and everyone else), that looks to be exactly what I want.
I never cease to be amazed by the skills available to us in this forum. Very grateful.

(Those following the link should remember to go to page 2 to read about servicepacks)

woodchip 23:00 01 Jun 2004

Well I hope you find what you want as My recovery disc as been created with Drive Image so that it's not possible to see XP. It's just one file but I also have a full XP disc

hugh-265156 00:31 02 Jun 2004

if your operating system is pre installed and you have no physical windows cdrom sfc /scannow will still work

you wont be prompted to insert the windows disc as sfc will take the files it needs from your C:\i386 folder if it needs to repair or replace anything.

hugh-265156 00:33 02 Jun 2004

and then huggy reads spikeys link :-)

DOH!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?