sfc /scannow

Daiol 19:59 17 Jan 2008

Hello.I went to try 'sfc /scannow' and it asked me to insert my windows xp pro cd which i did but a box keeps popping up to 'retry' 'more info' 'cancel' well i kept clicking on the retry tab but it kept cominig popping up on screen.What do i do??.Thanks daiol.

sinbads 20:01 17 Jan 2008

kep cliicking retry till its finished each time it asks its repairing

skidzy 20:01 17 Jan 2008
  sunny staines 20:02 17 Jan 2008

thats right you have to click every time a repair is req'd.

sinbads 20:04 17 Jan 2008

When complete it will dissapear that it, it doesn't tell you what its fixed.If you retry it probadbly will go from start to finish and not ask for you cd.

VoG II 20:08 17 Jan 2008
  Daiol 12:32 18 Jan 2008

Well thankyou all for help Vog I thought that your idea was rather complicated for me i just was weary of going into the registry,so i had a go on what sunny staines & sinbads mentioned but it took me about 40mins to complete i got dizzy with the retry tab,But as sinbads said after it completed i tried it again and it still asked for the disc.Any thoughts on this.Thanks daiol

Clapton is God 12:46 18 Jan 2008

"i tried it again and it still asked for the disc"

It will ask for the disc.

The whole point of sfc/scannow is for the PC to check for any missing and/or damaged system files. If it finds any it's got to get them from somewhere - and that's from the original Windows installation disc

Clapton is God 12:47 18 Jan 2008

Sorry, that should read:

"If it finds any it's got to get GOOD FILES from somewhere ....."

Daiol 13:37 18 Jan 2008

Clapton is God,Thanks for your help,just a thought how often should this job be done ie:once/twice yearly,going back to what you said when i tried sfc/scannow after the first time i did it it will ask for the disc until all files are found,this may take several attempts with the scannow system??.daiol

Daiol 13:38 18 Jan 2008

Clapton is God,Thanks for your help,just a thought how often should this job be done ie:once/twice yearly,going back to what you said when i tried sfc/scannow after the first time i did it it will ask for the disc until all files are found,this may take several attempts with the scannow system??.daiol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?