sfc question

johnnyrocker 16:06 20 Nov 2006

my system failed to go into safe mode today while i was trying to get rid of a file that would not delete. after finally getting shot of it i decided to run sfc as a check, it asked for the disk as usual and proceeded, my question is i had to select retry about 8 or 10 times during the process, in the opinion of the wiser here can i consider that whatever needed to be done has been?

johnny.

Stuartli 16:10 20 Nov 2006

I've had this problem with sfc /scannow and eventually discovered that, because I have two optical drives, I was trying to use the disk in E rather than D drive (used the DVD-ROM drive to save unnecessary use of the rewriter).

Switching the disk to the rewriter solved the problem in my case.

This link may also provide an alternative answer:

click here (re the Registry)

numskull 16:11 20 Nov 2006

Go to event viewer and look in either application or system. It will tell you in Windows file checker what SFC has done and that it has completed successfully

johnnyrocker 16:17 20 Nov 2006

thanks stuart i might run it again, i ran it from dvd drive.

numskull.
had a look in event viewer and the last log entry for system is 23/08/2006

the last application log is dated 16/09/2006 now i am confused.

johnny.

rawprawn 16:23 20 Nov 2006

I believe when that happens it can be caused by the fact that the XP CD you put in is SP1 and your system is SP 2

johnnyrocker 17:13 20 Nov 2006

i believe that is correct so how do i stand now then? has it done it's job or not.?

johnny.

zarobian 17:40 20 Nov 2006

I think you should use the drive which was used for original installation as that will be shown as a source path in the registry. If you have 2 drives then one will be as drive 0 (Master)and the other as drive 1 (Slave). You should use drive 0. If you have only one drive then this is irrevelent.

johnnyrocker 17:43 20 Nov 2006

i have only one hard drive ( is that what you are referring to? ) and an external i use from time to time via usb.

johnny.

zarobian 17:47 20 Nov 2006

No I am talking about optical drives.

johnnyrocker 17:51 20 Nov 2006

explain please.

johnny.

rawprawn 17:54 20 Nov 2006

Try this
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone