Setup was unable to format the partition

geoff47 20:45 15 Feb 2008

This is an ongoing problem, with other questions open on this forum, but to cut to the chase.

While trying to re-install XP Home on a drive that was playing up I am getting the following message.

"Setup was unable to format the partition.The disk may be damaged.Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computor.If the disk is a SCSI disk,make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated.Consult your computor manual, or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.You must select a different partition for Win XP.To continue press enter"
Can I take it that my Hard drive is knackered ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:19 15 Feb 2008

Type of drive?

you may have to load SATA drivers at the F6 prompt if it is a SATA drive.

woodchip 22:33 15 Feb 2008

You need to clear the drive with click here then start with OS cd after the above

geoff47 23:53 15 Feb 2008

Type of drive?
Unfortunatley I dont know, off hand.
I had previously tried to install XP Profesional, after a disk wipe with DBan, then wiped it again and installed win98 because XP Prof would not work.
I then tried to install HD Tune to see what was the problem with the disk, if anything.
Under XP I was getting the message "HD Tune.exe file is linked to a missing export.Powrprof.dll:canuserwritepwrscheme"
Then "Create process failed code 3.A device attached to the system is not functioning"
I have since then borrowed a copy of XP Home to install, which was installed previously, with the result in my first post.

How would I find out now, what type of drive ?
The PC is a Q Tech model, a search shows them to use ATA drive, I believe.

geoff47 12:33 16 Feb 2008

click here

Do I need drivers for an ATA as opposed to a SATA ?

Should I just buy another drive ? And if so, is it worth it, and more importantly what should I buy ?

cream. 13:04 16 Feb 2008

That says you have a SATA hard drive and you have to load the SATA drivers off your motherboard driver disk before windows will see the drive.

woodchip 15:03 16 Feb 2008

No youi do not need drivers for ata, windows supplies

geoff47 17:07 16 Feb 2008

Sorry I have just clicked, Serial ATA is SATA.

Are these drivers generic, how do I find out which ones I need ?

geoff47 17:59 16 Feb 2008

I do not have any disks with this computor.
Do I have to physically look inside the case to find what I need ?
The PC is not booting at all, so cannot install any utility to find out what Im seeking.

cream. 18:40 16 Feb 2008

'I do not have any disks with this computor.'

None at all?

You need to find out what is the make and model of the motherboard so you can download the motherboards SATA drivers.

A Q tech search on google comes up with nothing.

When the computer posts, first page. Copy down the bios string at the bottom of the page.

geoff47 18:58 16 Feb 2008

The computor was bought "as is" with the promise of disks, but none came.
I have opened the case of the PC and found out the motherboard is an EP-3VWM2 and have downloaded drivers for it.
I am now trying to re-install cables, as we speak.
Dont know why I disconnected them.....no laughing at the rear.....I said NO laughing.

Fingers crossed, all will be well shortly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?