setup shuts down

milf 03:55 13 Dec 2004

I am running Windows 98 on a Pentium III 266. Upon start up when I hit the del key to go to setup, I only get to see the set up screen for a second or two before the screen goes black and the computer stalls. I have to shut it off and start it up again to get going. (Hitting restart/reset has no effect.) It runs fine but I can't access the set up screen. Any ideas on how I can? Should I reinstall Win 98 or better yet upgrade to Win 2000?
Thanks. By the way,this forum has been a great source of solutions in the past for me - good job everyone!
Dan

Diodorus Siculus 08:04 13 Dec 2004

A BIOS flash might sort it out but I would only do that as a last resort.

The operating systems will make no difference; this setup screen is independent of the OS.

Why do you need to go into it? There may be another way to solve your problem.

milf 17:44 13 Dec 2004

I was going into set up to see how my drive,CDrom and CDwriter are set up, as I want to install a second hard drive. What I can do is try it first as a slave and then, if that doesn't work, as a master on the end connector of my 2ndary IDE cable (which has the CD writer in the first connector.) Although I may be able to get the second drive working this way, it still seems odd that I cannot access setup - I used to be able to.
Dan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?