Setup on Linksys router

[email protected] 19:14 24 Nov 2005

My main pc runs on XP Home and is currently has a broadband connection to BT Broadband Basic via a BT Voyager DSL modem.
I am shortly taking delivery of a laptop (XP Pro) which I want to share my broadband connection via a wired ethernet link.
I have purchased a Linksys AG241 Gateway/router and have been attempting to set it up from my pc. The problem is that when I enter the router address (192.168.1.1) into Internet Explorer I only get “Web page not available offline” instead of the setup page.
Following advice from Linksys after a protracted e-mail conversation I have set the TCP/IP properties to “Obtain an IP address Automatically”, and turned off my Norton Firewall. After this ipconfig yielded :
Connection-specific DNS suffix……………domain not set invalid
IP address ……………………………………….192.168.1.64
Subnet mask …………………………………….255.255.255.0
Default gateway ………………………………..192.168.1.1

I pinged the router and got four replies with no packets lost. I take this to mean that the router is recognised by the pc. Also interrogating the LAN suggests the router is connected but I still can’t access the setup page via IE browser. All Linksys can suggest is try all the above on another computer. I’ve tried setting IE offline option but it still doesn’t work.

Any suggestions?

mgmcc 20:18 24 Nov 2005

Check that firewall software isn't blocking the connection between PC and router. If you are not connected to the internet, temporarily disable any firewall until the router is configured. In any case, a router is usually a more-than-adequate hardware firewall.

[email protected] 10:33 25 Nov 2005

Thanks for your comments. I had previously turned off the Norton firewall without success. However this time I entered the router address into the "Trusted zone" of the firewall and also completely disabled it. Success! I finally accessed the setup page.
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?