Setup cannot continue

The Bard 16:05 05 Apr 2009

I have Windows XP, SP3. I have been trying to carry out a repair install. BIOS is set to load from CD first, and I tap key at appropriate time, but Windows loads as normal. Running the installation CD from within Windows (right-click on 'My Computer')I get the Message "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on your CD"

I have read, but not understood, slipstreaming. Is there a simpler way that a novice can follow?

brundle 16:20 05 Apr 2009

Do you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message?

ened 16:26 05 Apr 2009

Assuming you have backed everything up try a fresh install.

It also might help if you disconnect all unnecessary hardware until after the install.

brundle 16:30 05 Apr 2009

How can a fresh install be done if the CD won't boot?

Pineman100 16:34 05 Apr 2009

I had never carried out slipstreaming before, but I found this: click here

Using that free software it was honestly dead easy. All you need is a Windows XP CD. The version isn't important, but it must be a valid XP CD with the product key. You also need to have the SP3 file downloaded from Microsoft - click here

Autostreamer talks you through the process very clearly, and you'll end up with a slipstreamed version of XP SP3. You then need to burn this to a CD as an ISO file. If you don't have software that can do this, click here

The Bard 17:27 05 Apr 2009

Yes, I did see "Press any key", but it didn't make any difference.

brundle 17:33 05 Apr 2009

Is the disc clean? At least it shows your system recognises a bootable CD.

brundle 17:37 05 Apr 2009

Similar issue here; click here

lotvic 22:55 05 Apr 2009

It might be because you are using a wireless keyboard.
try with a PS/2 keyboard plugged in

The Bard 10:51 06 Apr 2009

Process worked ok for a while, installed Autostreamer, 'loaded' Xp, dowloaded and saved SP3, but when I tried to 'load' SP3 into Autostreamer window I keep getting message "Error 70: Permission denied". Why are computers never easy!

Pineman100 12:48 06 Apr 2009

Are you sure that your XP disk is a valid Microsoft disk, and not a computer manufacturer's recovery disk?

I'm not sure whether the latter would work or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?