Settle an arguement please

rob3600 18:06 19 May 2008

Our son argues with us that you do not have to go through the motions of ejecting memory sticks proir to unplugging them. My wife and I say you do, who is correct. Could some also tell me what O2 are like for broadband serivce or could they recommand one that works, I am currectly with Tiscali and am seriously thinking or changing due to their continued poor service. Finally in laymans terms can some explain the following - we are 2.7km from the telephone exchange and get on average 1 - 1.5mb yet yesterday (Sunday) we were in the lake district at a pub in the middle of no where and they were getting 5mb!!

Technotiger 18:11 19 May 2008

I have never used the 'safely remove hardware' icon, I do always however, make sure that nothing is being written to or read from the Mem stick before I disconnect it.

I think just about any ISP is better than Tiscali (though some people use it without problems), I use BT Broadband.

You can't really compare your set-up to someone else's, as you have quoted - there are too many considerations to be taken into account.

Gongoozler 18:12 19 May 2008

On the matter of memory sticks, the important thing is not to unplug them while they are transferring data. The "Safely Remove Hardware" routine is only to ensure that there is no data transfer. The reason you are only getting 1 to 1.5M is probably due to contention on the line. Perhaps in the lake district there are fewer people sharing.

Forum Editor 18:41 19 May 2008

we would all use the 'safely remove hardware' routine, but it takes up valuable seconds.

As far as memory sticks are concerned I just pull them out - there'll be no harm done, as long as no data transfer (in either direction) is taking place, as the others have already said.

skidzy 19:20 19 May 2008

All been said regarding how to disconnect the memory stick.

Just double check nothing is left open on the screen and no data is transfering to or from.

For what its worth,i have not used the safely remove hardware function for years and not corrupted any data to date.
The reason for me just unplugging the memory stick/flash drives....is when i used to use the right procedure...it killed my internet connection requiring a reboot.

Regarding your Internet speed,what package do you currently have ? if a 2MB package,its about right.

rob3600 21:58 19 May 2008

I have been told by Tiscali that my telephone line can support 2MB. I am constantly loosing connectivity from anything from a few minutes to a few days.

Devil Fish 22:20 19 May 2008

i almost always pull the usb device straight out and never lost any data yet

however if you do go through the motions it will refuse disconnection if the device is still working so in my opinion it is their as a fail safe rather than than an absolute must

Switcher 23:34 19 May 2008

What does everyone do with the few seconds that it saves by not using the "safely remove option"

ened 07:05 20 May 2008

Tiscali assured me all my line would support would be 2meg.

The day I switched to AOL my speed shot up to 5-6meg.

Same line and exchange etc.

Tiscali were obviously telling porkies!!!

xania 09:17 20 May 2008

I have to disagree. I have found that it has been possible to damage a key - at least that's what I put it down to. Now, I may be right and I may be arong, but, as Switcher puts it so succinctly....

rob3600 09:24 20 May 2008

Thanks everyone personally I use use the few extra seconds!! As far as the internet is concerned at the moment I will continue to pull out what remaining hair I have

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017