Settings after format

Tango18 21:52 05 Apr 2011

Going to format laptop, it's running proper slow and have tried all other avenues to no avail. How or where do I look for the settings for my broadband provider (talktalk) and wireless router (netgear). I have an external hard drive where I can store things until I need to install them, AV (avast)etc. TIA Tango18

Dell Inspiron
Windows Vista

Strawballs 22:03 05 Apr 2011

All you will need for your router is the wireless encryption key it will still be connected to your ISP as it is only the laptop you will be formatting, just reconnect to your router after format and it will be online.

As for your AV all I do is make that the first thing I do.

MAJ 23:18 05 Apr 2011

What Strawballs is [correctly] saying is that the router's settings are not stored on your computer, they're stored in the router itself. All you need is the wireless encryption key, which is probably printed somewhere on the router, so long as you haven't changed it to one of your own choice, even then it can be retrieved from the router's configuration page after you have formatted the computer.

Tango18 23:28 05 Apr 2011

Ok that seems to have resolved the router, what happens with the ISP as I no longer have their disk. TR

MAJ 00:07 06 Apr 2011

Their settings are stored in the router. Open the router's configuration page and copy the settings, before formatting the computer, if you wish, Tango18. In fact, most routers will give an option, somewhere in the configuration page, to save the settings to a file which can be backed up on CD or USB pen drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017