Setting up a WLAN

Nassa 17:12 08 Jul 2006

Iv got a new laptop with integrated WLAN. I wanted to know how I would go about setting up a wireless connection using the integrated WLAN.

I already have wireless internet but I use a USB 2.0 Adapter which i dont want to use anymore. How do I set up the WLAN using my current ISP service? Any help much appreciated thanks.

ade.h 17:21 08 Jul 2006

1) Switch on your adapter via the keyboard/fascia button *before* you log in to your User Account.

2) Click on the WLAN icon in the NA. Refresh the network list.

3) Select your SSID and click the Connect button. Enter your WPA key twice (you should have configured this setting in your router).

4) Make a firewall permission when your client firewall prompts you (which it will at this point unless you run it in auto mode).

5) That's about it.

Nassa 20:35 08 Jul 2006

So I need to put my USB Wireles adapter in before I log in? Also I cant find the WLAN icon where is this? Sorry im a bit on the untechnical side :)

ade.h 20:49 08 Jul 2006

You said...

"I already have wireless internet but I use a USB 2.0 Adapter which i dont want to use anymore." and "....using the integrated WLAN."

Which I took to mean that you are using a modern laptop with built-in mini-PCI wireless card (probably a Broadcom or Intel). Therefore you do not plug in any USB adapter.

ade.h 20:52 08 Jul 2006

An image of the WLAN icon (connected in this picture) residing in the NA click here

ade.h 20:54 08 Jul 2006

That image got corrupted by Imageshack's conversion process click here

Nassa 20:55 08 Jul 2006

I checked the spec of my laptop and it says I have integrated wireless so i guess i had an integrated PCI card. Thanks for the picture im dumb like that...
I just didnt understand the first bit of the post - but thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?