Setting up wirelsee connection - help requested

Walpole 14:22 09 Sep 2007

I have a Windows XP desktop connected to Tiscali broadband via a Speedtouch (usb) modem. I wish to set up a wireless connection to my wife's laptop running Vista. I have got a Belkin wireless cable router (Wirelss G Router).
As I am a technical ignoramus please advise me what steps I need to take to set up the system.
Thanks.

woodchip 15:01 09 Sep 2007

Sounds like you got the wrong one. You have to connect the Modem to phone line, router to modem, computer to router. If that will work come back and say so

Woolwell 16:53 09 Sep 2007

Is your Belkin kit a modem/router or just a router? It would help if you gace the model number.

With a modem/router (which is what I would recommend) then you will not need your Speedtouch USB modem. You will ideally need to connect your PC to the modem/router by cable (not USB) but an ethernet cable so that you can configure the modem/router. Most modem/routers come with a quick start guide which explains this.

harps1h 20:54 09 Sep 2007

you may find that the sppedtouch has no ethernet connector which you need to connect to the router. as suggested before change it for a modem router which does away with the need of the speedtouch

Strawballs 21:03 09 Sep 2007

click here Any one of these will do for your type of connection.

Walpole 10:58 10 Sep 2007

Thanks to you all for the advice. I will get a modem router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone