Setting up Wireless security

splye 15:26 15 Oct 2006

been wireless ages and fed up to the back teeth of supplying the neighbours with free access. bought netgear WGT 624 108 Mbps or whatever that means. Set up easy reading security and now I have to make choices. Oh I am confused. I just want the woreless to be password protected. Please be gentle with me when you write back and tell me what I am to do. Oh got blueyonder on cable. Look all over netgear stuff and this is far too difficualt what happened to the simple password stuff

Strawballs 15:30 15 Oct 2006

click here
You should find everything you need hear.

splye 17:07 15 Oct 2006

Thanks for that now i know I need to set up a network key but i dont know how is there somewhere I could go or do I have to get a spotter to do it?

sidandlil 17:13 15 Oct 2006

I think this is right,perhaps someone else will confirm.
open internet explorer.........enter click here. this opens Netgear and a box should open asking for username and password. as you havent done this yet,default username should be admin, and password should be password.enter these, click ok and a Netgear smart wizard window should open, at left, click on wireless settings, then under security options, tick WPA-PSK (TKIP), type a passphrase and click apply.
well it worked on a WPN 824 for me.
good luck

irishrapter 17:50 15 Oct 2006

Just make sure that your wireless card can support WPA. Dont use WEP.

Go here click here

And get a 63 character random password, use that as your WPA key on both your router and wireless card.

You should then have a good secure setup, there are other things that can be done to make it a bit more secure but the WPA key is the main thing.

You have to be very careful about having an unprotected wireless network. Its not just the fact that you are giving your neighbours free internet but you are leaving your own computer open to an attack.

People can sniff the open network and see everything you are doing on the internet.

And at the end of the day if the people connected to your router using your internet connection are using the internet for the wrong reasons then its you that the police and your ISP will be calling and not your neighbours!

splye 20:43 17 Oct 2006

BEFORE I CLICK THE RESOLVE BUTTON I JSUT WANT TO SAY A VERY BIG THANKS TO

STRAWBALLS
AND SIDANDLIL

AND A BIG THANK YOU FOR THE LAST ADVICE FROM

IRISHRAPTER

WITHOUT YOU GUYS THERE WOULD BE NO SECURITY ON MY SYSTEM AND A BIGGER THANKS FOR BEING GENTLE

UNTIL NEXT TIME

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?