Setting up a wireless router

MartynHoll 07:54 15 Sep 2006

I have just set up a friend's PC to a Netstore wireless router (LAN connection) and all is working fine. He would now like to move the router downstairs to where his main phone socket is and connect the PC (that is presently set up via LAN and a long phone extension lead!)via wireless. Can I set up the wireless connection while the PC is still connected via the LAN connection or do I need to disconnect the LAN connection first? (I know the set-up forced me to go via LAN connection first anyway!)

bruno 08:19 15 Sep 2006

I have just set up my wireless connection while the router was plugged into the phone line,but not connected to the PC,and it worked fine first time.You do have a wireless adaptor for the PC I take it?

MartynHoll 09:40 15 Sep 2006

Yes, I have the adaptor. I will give it a try. I think you have to leave encryption off on initial set-up - is that right?

ade.h 14:06 15 Sep 2006

What do you mean by "set up the wireless connection"? As far as as router is concerned, there is nothing to do other than enable the wireless service if it is not already enabled. If you are discussing security protocols, then you need to do a little bit of work obviously. This must be performed over a Cat5 cable with any router that applies setting changes without delay, for obvious reasons (so that's most brands apart from Voyager).

Any more networking questions can be posted in the Networking forum: click here

MartynHoll 14:33 15 Sep 2006

After setting the PC up with the Lan cable, I did try a quick connection using the same PC over wireless and it did 'see' the router but couldn't connect (something to do with settings - can't remember now), but I wondered if that was to do with the fact that I had already set the security on the router rather than connect wirelessly first!!

ade.h 14:50 15 Sep 2006

Nothing to do with it at all. That's a client-side issue.

"Now you can exit the router, unplug the cable and reconnect your wireless link. To do so, single-click on the WLAN icon in the Notification Area on your laptop, which will bring up a network list. Click Refresh. Your SSID should now be visible, so attempt to connect to it. You'll be shown two passkey boxes into which you must copy and paste the passkey from your text file. It will be remembered from now on."

Copied from my own site: click here

I would add to that the need to configure your client firewall to permit the connection.

MartynHoll 14:57 15 Sep 2006

Thanks for this - what do you mean by text file?

ade.h 15:03 15 Sep 2006

A tet file, like you would create in Notepad. Make your PSK in it.

MartynHoll 15:16 15 Sep 2006

Sorry, I should have said 'what data am I copying'?

ade.h 15:26 15 Sep 2006

The PSK!

When I set up a router, I always write the PSK in a text file first, then paste it into the router's interface and then paste it again into the connection box on any wireless clients. It prevents typing errors, is much quicker and gives the user a record of that PSK. I give the file an innocuous name, like Shopping List or something.

ade.h 15:27 15 Sep 2006

If you visit my site and read my extract in context, you'll understand what I mean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone