Setting up wireless network with Wanadoo broadband

cyberphobic 23:02 31 Mar 2005

I am selling a laptop to one of my daughter's friends which is fitted with an 802.11g PCMCIA wireless card. She would like me to set up a wireless connection so that the laptop can be enjoyed all over the house. She already has Wanadoo broadband which I think comes with a Thomsom USB modem, which is already wired direct to the main PC. Am I correct in thinking that I can buy an ethernet hub and connect it to the modem and then plug the wired PC and the wireless access point into it, thus providing wired/wireless access, or do I need to buy a router to achieve this

phil.s 23:42 31 Mar 2005

Hi cyberphobic.

The Thomson SpeedTouch USB modem cannot easily be connected to a router.

I subscribe to Wanadoo Broadband (with the same USB modem supplied)and chose a Belkin wireless router/ADSL modem which works fine. Since I purchased the '54g' router, Belkin and others have now introduced the superfast 100Mb/s wireless modem so you may wish to choose one of them.

The main PC is connected via ethernet cable and may require a network interface card available for around £10.

Phil.

cyberphobic 13:47 01 Apr 2005

Cheers, I've had a look on eBay and I reckon I should be able to get a wireless router/adsl modem for £40 to £50 which will be a good result. Thanks for your help.

phil.s 15:03 01 Apr 2005

If you have problems just post again or email me.

Phil.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?