Setting up wireless network with iBook and PC

paulhicko 10:51 07 Feb 2006

My daughter is getting an iBook G4 and wants to share the BT Broadband connection we use on the main PC in the house (as well as files and printer/scanner etc).

How easy is it to set up a wireless network between Apple OS and Windows XP? Would I need any hardware apart from the router? I've been told I need an adaptor plugged into the main PC. As far as I know the Ibook shouldn't need anything plugged in.

I've been assured by folk at work that it's 'dead easy' but in my experience with PCs it rarely is!

keewaa 11:18 07 Feb 2006

Make sure you buy an "ADSL wireless router" with a built in adsl modem (eg Belkin F5D7632 or Netgear DG834G). The easiest way would be to wire it to the PC with an ethernet cable (If PC has a network port, then its OK, if not buy a NIC ethernet adapter for £10 and install it (easy).

It is dead easy if it all works "just like that". If you have problems it's usually a case of posting here like you see to sort it out, usually resolved reasonably easily.

I know nothing about sharing files / printer between apple & XP. Internet will be fine.

mgmcc 14:01 07 Feb 2006

Networking Apple and PC for file sharing isn't really any more difficult than with PCs. You have to put the Apple Mac in the same Workgroup as the PC and, from the "System Preferences" utility, open the "Sharing" applet and enable:

- Personal File Sharing
- Windows Sharing

In Windows, "Microsoft File & Printer Sharing" doesn't include Scanners, so don't expect to be able to share a scanner over the network and I haven't yet managed to use a PC's "shared printer" from the Mac.

My internet connection is by ethernet from the Mac to the router and didn't involve any special setting up, so going "wireless" shouldn't present any problems. Unfortunately, I cannot just plug a Belkin USB WiFi adapter in to the Mac, because it isn't recognised, otherwise I would have tried "wireless" with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?