setting up wireless network again

robert01 13:19 22 Mar 2008

I am getting a new pc next week which means I have to set up internet access again ( sigh ).

Currently the desktop is plugged into a belkin wireless router which is connected to the main bt phone socket with my laptop picking up the signal. I assume that I get my new computer set up with my provider talktalk using the disc I received and connecting it directly to the wall socket, once that is up and running I then switch the cables and go via the belkin. Is that correct ? New pc will be Vista, currently XP.

It is ages since I first set it all up but I do remember much grinding of teeth, any help welcome.

FreeCell 17:33 22 Mar 2008

Not sure if your original TalkTalk disc is Vista compatible, depends when you received it. Maybe worth checking.

However not normally a problem to set up new PC assuming that your router is connecting to the internet okay. The router holds your broadband connection settings so these don't have to be reset.

Not sure what you meant by directly connecting new PC to wall socket. No need, just connect the new PC, using a network cable, to the Belkin router and it should automatically create the network connection for you allowing internet access.

However if you have any problems just comeback on the forum and I am sure there will be all the help you need

robert01 14:26 27 Mar 2008

Well that was easy, all the settings were obviously held in the wireless modem, I just connected the network cable to my new pc and it connected online instantly. Didn't have to tell the computer anything, I thought there would be more to it than that. The TalkTalk Assist & Go software wouldn't install but I will give that another go later.

FreeCell 18:35 27 Mar 2008

Well done!

You can download the latest version from
click here't%20connect&showFAQ=ASSIST_GO

This may resolve any compatibility issues with Vista.

FreeCell 18:36 27 Mar 2008

Sorry that last link was a bit too long for the post. Try using this one click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone