setting up wireless network

OAP65 11:59 11 Feb 2007

I am connecting 2 pc wirelessly both running XP Host pc is connected to Belkin ADSL modem/router 2nd.pc Belkin wireless adaptor all bought as a kit. No problem setting both pc's to use the internet. Cannot set up home network for printing and file sharing tried using network set up wizard on host pc it will not complete. It will go through setup on 2nd. pc ok. So I then tried using a wireless setup wizard it goes through ok and transfers to usb key, when I plug this key into the 2nd. pc it will not complete it tells me the file type is not recognised. Hope this makes sense. Thanks

howard64 13:41 11 Feb 2007

this could be a firewall blocking/ If both work ok on the net then I would suggest you give both pcs a fixed IP address and then enter that address in the firewall of the other pc and vice versa. If you do not know how to do this post back/

OAP65 14:57 11 Feb 2007

i am using zone alarm free on both computers firewall set to medium both internet zone and trusted zone,any help.

FreeCell 17:28 11 Feb 2007

It is quite likely that Zone Alarm is blocking the file sharing, It's doing its job.

You will need to set up the "other" computers IP address into the Zone Alarm allowed list. To find the IP address of a computer click Start then select Run In the box type cmd A black box will open and you then need to type "ipconfig /all" (without the inverted commas) The IP address will be listed. Enter this into the appropriate place in Zone Alarm.

Hope this helps.

mosfet 18:19 11 Feb 2007

An easy way for Z/A is,,open zone...add...host...enter "other" pc name & description then on lookup...it should find other pc.

OAP65 14:43 13 Feb 2007

Thanks for all the replies at the moment I am re-installing Windows XP on the client computer I will then try these suggestions.

OAP65 15:31 22 Feb 2007

i have now got my network up and running thank you to all who replyed to my thread

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone