Setting up wireless network.

SteevScotland 11:17 08 Jun 2004

Hi I am trying to set up an ad hoc network with internet connection sharing between my desktop and my laptop.

I thought I had it working but it still wont cooperate so I have installed the network card and I'm going to start again from scratch. I was wondering if you could talk me through the process.

I'm trying to network my Desktop using a Belkin 54g card to my centrino laptop using its onboard 11b card.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers S

SteevScotland 11:19 08 Jun 2004

Oh forgot to mention I have an existing wired network if that makes any difference.

Cheers S

SteevScotland 18:11 08 Jun 2004

bump

johnsims 18:33 08 Jun 2004

Are you sure 11g and 11b will talk to each other?
Suggest a visit to the Netgear site click here where there are some pretty comprehensive guides to setting up a network - in the support section

mikef. 19:00 08 Jun 2004

Have you got Zonealarm installed on one or other PC's as that is enough to stop them talking to each other,if so when you want the two to speak to each other switch it off, it's what caused me my problems when networking, and did you follow the network wizard exactly including making a network disc, again a common mistake.

My network uses a Belkin ADSL/ROUTER 54g and a centrino 11b and it works fine once I set it up properly as above.

MartinT-B 19:19 08 Jun 2004

good tutorials and advice click here

SteevScotland 19:28 08 Jun 2004

Thanks mikef. No I don't have zonealarm. I do have Norton internet security but I switched it off.

When I followed the wizard I didn't make a disk I just used the XP wizard on both computers.

MartinT-B I'm reading the site now.

Cheers S

mikef. 19:33 08 Jun 2004

You do have to make the disc when prompted, I didn't at first, I did like you and just did the set up on both computers, and my network wouldn't work either until I did, I had to make it on floppy on the desktop and then transfer it to a CDRW for putting into the laptop.

SteevScotland 19:41 08 Jun 2004

OK I'll give it a go making a disk. but I don't have a floppy drive on my desktop or my laptop can I burn it straight to CD?

Cheers S

SteevScotland 19:43 08 Jun 2004

Oh I forgot to ask I'm currently sharing my broadband connection through my wired network. Should I unplug the wired one before I run the wizard?

Cheers S

mikef. 20:25 08 Jun 2004

Should be OK to keep the wired network going, when I ran the wizard I used the option to save to floppy as that was the default, you may be able to save to hard drive and then burn a CD i can't remember if this is possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?