Setting up a wireless LAN with Netgear Router

willo500 01:52 30 Apr 2010

Hi

I have a netgear DG834G wireless router and I want to use it to connect my Canon DSLR wireless to my laptop. I have the instructions for the Canon Wireless File Transmitter, but unfortunately, they assume I have a wireless LAN already set up.

I have no idea how to do this and can't make sense of the manual.

Could someone please help? It would be much appreciated

Thanks

Willo

willo500 06:24 30 Apr 2010

Just to be clear, I don't want to use my internet connection. I want to be able to work wirelessly without connecting to the internet.

Thanks

Willo

mgmcc 08:41 30 Apr 2010

Your laptop, whether connected to the router "wirelessly" or by ethernet cable, is effectively already networked and part of the LAN. If there are folders in the Laptop that you need to access from the camera, these will need to be "shared", which is done by right clicking them and selecting the Sharing option (procedure varies slightly depending on the version of Windows). Firewall software may also need to be configured to allow access to the camera (to its IP address).

Then just follow the instructions to connect the camera "wirelessly" to the already existing LAN.

willo500 11:44 02 May 2010

Thanks mgcc.

I am not sure if I made my request clear. I have been able to follow the instructions you outline above, but I want to connect a camera to the computer wirelessly using FTP. I cannot seem to get it to do it unless I go through my broadband lan. I want to set up an ad hoc one which I can use wherever I am,

Thanks

Willo

mgmcc 12:14 02 May 2010

You did say in your original posting that you wanted to use your DG834G router, which would mean an "Infrastructure" rather than an "Ad Hoc" wireless network.

However, there's no reason why you can't set up an "Ad Hoc" network to connect camera and computer directly. How you do it depends on the operating system.

In answer to your other query about FTP, it seems that Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium *DOES NOT* natively support acting as an FTP server. Although you can install it in "Windows Features" (Internet Information Services and then FTP Server), it doesn't actually function, which suggests that Microsoft have deliberately disabled it in the "Home" versions of Win 7.

willo500 23:23 02 May 2010

Hmm this seems to be a no go area for me then. Windows pro is the only way forward. Is this a pretty reasonable summation of the situation?

Thanks

willo500 00:15 03 May 2010

Is it possible ( and if so is it desirable ? ) to use third party applications to enable to me use windows home editions as FTP servers?

Would using them be a second rate solution or would it work quite well?

Thanks

Willo

willo500 07:42 03 May 2010

Hi mgcc what do you make of this thread below? Are they talking about the same thing or not? Sorry to be naive but I really don't have a clue about what I'm supposed to do here.

click here

mgmcc 20:22 03 May 2010

It seems that I may not have gone far enough by not also installing the "IIS Management Console". With this installed, there are FTP options available from the Administrative Tools in Control Panel. click here However, I don't have any experience of running an FTP server in Windows to be able to tell you how to set it up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?