Setting up wireless LAN

Weskit 18:20 09 Feb 2007

Can someone please point me to instructions to set up a wireless LAN between a laptop running XP and a desktop with 98SE. Can I use XP's "Set up a wireless network for home or small office" bearing in mind that the desktop is only 98SE? Thanks for any advice and points to watch out for.

Ashrich 19:53 09 Feb 2007

Is this through a wireless router or peer to peer ?

Ashley

Weskit 20:00 09 Feb 2007

Using a wireless router- Orange Livebox.

Ashrich 20:21 09 Feb 2007

Ok , once you have established a connection with both PC's to the router , run the Network wizard on both , ignoring it when it says about unconnected devices , and make sure that they are both in the same network group , usually defaults to MShome , give both they're own names and locations when asked and finish the wizards , don't bother making a network disk , it is just as easy to do it manually , then check in Network Places / Entire Network / MShome , and see if they can see each other . Disable firewalls initially when doing this .

Ashley

Weskit 08:17 10 Feb 2007

Thanks for your advice. I'll give it a go. Sorry to miss you last evening. Many thanks.

Weskit 15:30 10 Feb 2007

I must be dim, sounded so easy when I read your instructions but I can't find the appropriate wizards on either XP or 98SE. could you be a bit more detailed?

Weskit 18:32 10 Feb 2007

Anyone?

T0SH 20:37 10 Feb 2007

Open Network connections on XP you have a choice of New connection Wizard or Network setup Wizard

On Win98 I think you use the Internet connection wizard and choose to connect through a LAN

but it has been a long time since I used Win98

Cheers HC

Strawballs 21:33 10 Feb 2007
  Ashrich 21:52 10 Feb 2007

Sorry Weskit , been at work today and just got on comp now , the Network wizard for XP is in Network Connections / Network Setup Wizard , similar in 98se My Networks / New network or something like that , I don't have a 98se PC to hand at the moment , although , if I remember correctly it does involve a bit of manual setting up as well in TCP/IP etc. like having to manually enter the IP address of the gateway ( the routers IP ) and checking the bindings , if you have a floppy you can make a disk to transfer settings to the 98se comp.

Ashley

Weskit 08:28 11 Feb 2007

Hello folks, Thanks for the help, I'll have another go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?