Setting Up Wireless Home Network

Big Trev 17:55 02 Jan 2007

I have two PCs in the house running Windows XP.

I want to set up a Home Network.

I ran the Windows Wizard on the office PC and then did the same on the Kids PC. On the Kids PC I can see nothing when I click on My Network Places.

On the Office PC it shows both computers but I do not have pemission to access this PC!

I have a BT Home Hub. the office PC is connected to it via a USB port and the Kids computer via a wireless connection.

Where have I gone wrong and how do I remedy it?

Thanks.

^wave^ 18:24 02 Jan 2007

ok not sure about this but i think you may need to set up the office pc with an ethernet cable then try the wizard again. is this office pc part of a domain or is it the adult pc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 02 Jan 2007

Have you enabled sharing?
are both PCs in the same workgroup?
have you set your firewalls to allow access permission from the other PCs

Big Trev 19:00 02 Jan 2007

The office PC should be the adult PC, but both were set up in the same way.

My firewall is Zonealarm and is set to the highest security setting. If I reduce this to medium, can't outside PCs (other than my kids PC) connect to mine and wreak havoc?

Is there a way round this?

How does one enable sharing?

We are on the same workgroup.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 02 Jan 2007

How does one enable sharing?

My computer - click drive - open drive - select folder - right click - properties - sharing tab.

You need folders on both PCs shared or you will not be able to access the other PC.

My firewall is Zonealarm and is set to the highest security setting. If I reduce this to medium, can't outside PCs (other than my kids PC) connect to mine and wreak havoc?
Leave at high and:-
Create a Trusted Zone
If you have two or more computers connecting to the Internet through a router, you can create a Trusted Zone. Click Firewall in the ZoneAlarm Control Center, then click the Zones tab. Click the Add button and enter your other computers' local IP addresses. You can set Trusted Zone security to let your computers share files and disk space.

Big Trev 19:20 02 Jan 2007

You've been a diamond so far!

Now for my next stupid question: How do I find the IP address of the other PC?

Thanks.

Legolas 19:25 02 Jan 2007

To find out the IP of any PC when on the particular PC go to start/programs/accessories/command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL

note the space

grabster 21:22 02 Jan 2007

Spot on Fruit Bat /\0/\ , ive been trying to enable sharing without sucess since i got a laptop for the wife now ive got it sorted... Cheers.

Big Trev 21:35 02 Jan 2007

Sorted!

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?