Setting up a wireless Hard drive

andyatkins 17:15 14 Mar 2010

Due to space constraints I have to use a laptop and unfortunately need a 1TB Hard drive or greater. The laptops with 1TB hard drives are too expensive so I was thinking of getting a laptop with 500GB and getting a wireless hard drive with 1 or 2 TB. However, I have no idea how I would set up the wireless hard drive, what I would need to do so and what equipment is best. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

bremner 16:18 15 Mar 2010

You will pay 2 or 3 times more for a wireless HDD than a USB drive.

Unless you are going to share the HDD there is little reason to buy a wireless one.

Taff™ 01:09 16 Mar 2010

I agree with bremner to a certain degree. I work on a 40 Gb Hard Disk Drive laptop. (Old stuff I know!) but have several storage devices available, the largest being 500Gb. Music goes on a another dedicated 250 Gb drive. Backups on another 250Gb drive and anything else, depending on size of the storage, ranges from a USB storage stick (3 of those: 4 GB for software, 2GB for work documents and 2GB for anything I need temporarily. They all travel around in a pocket in my bag.)

The original 500GB USB drive stays permanently at home and I religiously back (most) things to that. You have to work out your back own back up regime and believe me, I`ve been caught out once or twice.

iqs 11:56 20 Mar 2010

I purchased this item and turned my standard external HDD into a NAS drive(not wireless)

click here

BRYNIT 13:10 20 Mar 2010

Just notices on Thursday 24th Aldi are selling a wireless USB hub for £39.99 with 3 years warranty
click here you need to be quick as items like this sell very quickly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?