Setting up a wireless acces point

Tenacious Green 16:13 20 Dec 2005

I am new to networking as I only have my Home desktop which is connected via broadband adsl modem. I want to set up a wireless access point for my PSP, and possibly a laptop in near future. I would however like my desktop to remain wired. What kit do I need and how do I set it up? Also I have heard of problems with free firewalls with such setups. Can I carry on using ZA on the desktop?

keewaa 16:38 20 Dec 2005

Assuming it is adsl (and not cable from NTL or telewest), then the modem is probably a USB modem. You need to buy an adsl wireless router such as the netgear DG834G (£64 with free USB Wireless Adapter from Amazon). This has 4 ethernet ports to wire in 4 PCs + wireless for laptops/PCs.

I'm not sure what else you need to make the PSP work wirelessly, probably just a wireless adapter for the PSP, but I don't know about PSPs.

Tenacious Green 16:47 20 Dec 2005

Thanks, yep it is adsl. So that router will do the trick? The PSP is wireless ready!

Could you answer my question about the firewall issue?

Many Thanks

retep888 17:34 20 Dec 2005

That router will do the trick, there're other adsl modem/router you can consider as well.

Regarding the PSP, it doesn't support WPA wireless security, as a result, you may have to go with WEP, which is less secure, the choice is yours.

Zonealarm shouldn't have any issue with this setup.

HTH

Tenacious Green 17:42 20 Dec 2005

Thanks that certainly helps. I think there is some instructions on the official PSP website on how to set up WEP.

retep888 18:05 20 Dec 2005

You don't have to go to the PSP's official website, the router's setup manual tells you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?