Setting up Wireless

lodger 08:28 21 Sep 2006

Ok ok, I have an asdl connection that i want to share with my second pc...so, i have gotten myself a wireless modem/router,some ethernet cable to attach to main pc for setting it up, and a usb adaptor for the second pc ..is this enough hardware, and.... what do i do now ???????

ArrGee 08:45 21 Sep 2006

It sounds as though you have all the right hardware (assuming that the USB adaptor you have is a WiFi adaptor).

To start with, have one PC connected to the router via the ethernet cable. The second has the WiFi adaptor.

The adaptor should have come with some setup software to ensure the correct drivers are loaded in.

The router should have come with setup software for use in the first PC.

Which ISP (broadband service provider) are you with?

fazer 13:29 21 Sep 2006

I've just gone through the same set-up process and was dreading it (!) but it was extremely easy in the end.

Its as ArrGee states but do ensure that the router is installed first - then the usb adapter.

The only thing I have noticed is that I have to switch things on in strict order: modem first and wait until all the lights stop flashing - then the router and give that some time - then boot-up the second computer. Reception is then instant.

lodger 10:01 22 Sep 2006

for the encouragement.............. am now on DAY 2 on the great wireless experiment disaster of 2006 :(....the initial installation was interrupted cos the router was not found........rang the 'helpline' for advice, ( shows how desperate i was).....anyway, got router installed, then the second pc couldnt find the router......rang desparation line again (at least it's free)...did what we were told, so, after 5 hours of help, we lost internet connection completely.....told it may be a bt line fault....is it possible to uninstall everything and begin again?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?