Setting up a website?

Ray5776 19:19 13 Feb 2008

Hi everyone,

I am posting this for a friend who is not really computer orientated.
Need some guidance on how to set up a web site for a building company and also another one for a band of musicians.
Think I had some freebie software from the mag on this but can`t find it.
Any help on this one please.

Ray

athenrye 21:36 13 Feb 2008

i use net objects fusion, its free with a lot of the computer magazines, its a wysiwyg kind of programme

you dont need to be 100% net or computer savvy but it helps if you are and can spend the time to do it

it has teplates and wizards to guide you, these wont look the best/great when youve finshed but it will allow you to get online

you do need time to play around with the programme you are going to use

rember the first time you used word or surfed the net, you didnt know what all th buttons were...
its the same with a web design programme, the other thing you need is some creative design talent, i fail at this time and time again

what i do is look around ther websites and copy shapes colours and ideas, and as i cant create them exact they become ny ideas....

you will need a web hosting company
i use click here you get a free .uk address and 2 years hosting for £27 which is very good and will meet your needs

dont go to one of those charlatan web design companies, they charge a fortune and you dont get much £300 for a 2 page site and £30 per month for not much more

a reputable company costs much more which will be well outside your budget

im not canvasing for work but i do websites for friends and family i ahve my own website click here its called simple sites
i have my own badge collection click here
and have done click here im in the process of doing a couple more on click here

these were all done by net objects
i know they arent the greatest but they do the job

i hope that helps
will

Kemistri 22:14 13 Feb 2008

If they are not IT savvy, they will almost certainly be taking on too much if they try to do this themselves, particularly as a commercial website is at stake. That's my honest opinion. I have seen far too many far-below-standard commercial ventures that were obviously developed by an amateur with limited knowledge and it can be a false economy. It is about a lot more than just learning how to use some WYSIWYG software -- there is a lot more that one needs to know about aspects of web design, technology, and online marketing in order to make an effective and professional commercial website.

Ray5776 22:52 13 Feb 2008

Your point is taken here Kemistri, i can`t do him a homesite let alone a business one.
There are some free progs available that may help
ifv anyone can suggest

ray

JAC13 21:27 15 Feb 2008

I use Web-plus 9, I bought it with some other software and step by tep manuals. It cost me £50 from PC world and is really easy to use.
this is my 1st site click here and the 2nd one is nearly done. Its simple to use and although nothing flashy, gets the job done ok I think ; ) . I use heart internet for hosting and this costs me £9 a month.
The free ones I find are very restrictive in what you can do, web-plus offers loads of templates or you can start with a blank page...give it a go.
jacqui

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?