Setting up Ubuntu Server - how to?

sean-278262 03:27 01 Apr 2008

Hi everyone, I am back again looking for help. I am wanting to host my own server for my website as the free hosts don't offer enough flexibility or the speed I would like to have in terms of page load times etc.

So instead of paying a host I have decided to relligate an old P4 box I have to become a linux server. However I have never done any of this before so obviously I will want some hand holding. Does anyone have a nice easy to follow guide to the setting up of a computer with ubuntu server and getting everything going?

Anything would be a help as I would like to try doing this over the weekend however I really dont know where to start and want to be sure to do it right from the outset and not mess anything up.

DieSse 11:10 01 Apr 2008

The speed in terms of page loading times you will get from your own server will be much more affected by the number of connections that your line bandwidth can support, than any hosting service will ever be.

I can't help on your setting up your own web server - it's not going to be a task for a faint heart, and IMHO expecting to do it over a weekend starting from a state of knowing little, is wildly optimistic.

That said - good luck with it if you try it.

However - have you looked at free web space on Awardspace. I use it for several "no profit" sites, and have found their speed and service well up to the standards of some paid hosting I use. And it's ad-free too.

click here

A couple of my sites hosted there free

click here click here

LastChip 21:35 05 Apr 2008

I tend to agree with DieSse, but this is as good as you're likely to get. click here

It uses the classic text based Debian installation pages, which allows a much finer level of control than Ubuntu systems meant for the desktop.

If you seriously mean to use this as a web server, make very sure you don't use "administrator" as a user name and use a very strong password. Also remember in Linux, user names and passwords are case sensitive.

Note: any script lines that start with a # are for information and are ignored by Linux. It can be used as a quick way of disabling something to see if the desired effect is achieved, but misused, can also render a system inoperable.

On the positive side, even if you don't succeed at first, you will learn an awful lot along the way.

Good Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?