Setting up Talk talk broadband for first time

andy625 13:17 27 Nov 2009

I am going to be setting up a boadband router for my sister, who has just switched to talk talk, and not had broadband before. She mentioned that there was a problem getting the talk talk cd to run on her Windows 2000 laptop. I havent seen the setup yet and don't know what router she has, but from what she described it sounds like maybe the disc is designed for a machine running XP.

Can anyone tell me if I can expect any problems setting up her connection using her Windows 2000 laptop? I have an XP laptop. Could I set it up using my laptop, then unplug mine, and plug hers in in its place?

User-1229748 13:50 27 Nov 2009

should not need the cd but according to this windows 2000 is fineclick here

andy625 13:59 27 Nov 2009

OK that sounds ok then. Maybe the error message was because she doesn't have a wireless card (she's not very pc minded). Thanks.

andy625 13:24 02 Dec 2009

OK, turns out that the talk talk cd wouldn't load because her pc is Windows ME. Also it doesn't have an RJ-45 port. I see that Maplins sell usb to RJ-45 adapters, but I'm not sure if they would work with Windows ME or if we need to upgrade to Windows 2000.

I connected my laptop to their broadband by just plugging in the network cable, so the talk talk program isn't a problem, only if we want to set up the wireless, in which case I need to find a Windows ME driver for my spare netgear wireless card.

tullie 16:03 02 Dec 2009

As has been stated,you dont need the cd.

Tech Guy 16:26 02 Dec 2009
  andy625 16:37 02 Dec 2009

Sorry tullie, I mean't that I reaslised I didn't need the cd when my own laptop connected without having loaded it.

Tech guy, I did find a driver online for my spare Netgear PCI wireless card, however it didn't seem to instal properly. Perhaps I should persevere with that option and forget the usb adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?