Setting up Sound Devices

jayatissa 04:17 11 Feb 2009

I'm using Windows XP sp3 and have speakers connected to rear output of the motherboad. It works well. When I want to use headphones and the mic I have to remove the speakers manually and connect the headphone and mic to rear out put as the front slots are not functioning. It works earlier. As a substitute I purchased a USB #D sound connector and tried with as USB port. To use that device I have to change the settings. My question is, whetehr there is a possibility to use both devices(speakers attached to rear panel and the headphone and mic attached to USB simultaneously. I had that oprtunity earlier and it went off suddenly. I could not get back to that position again. I anticipate expert advice on this. Thank you.

eedcam 08:31 11 Feb 2009

Bit late now but you could have just got speakers with a head phone socket then you could have left the mic in the back and the headphones just connect whenever needed

ambra4 09:01 11 Feb 2009

Take a look at the Hama Media-Hub, Silver works fine for me, save you having to unplug

the headphone or mic or fiddling around at the back of the computer all audio input /

output is controlled from the two switches on the front of the hub

click here

jayatissa 14:25 15 Feb 2009

Thank you for the advice. But I could not find in our country. May be we will get it soon. Instead of this can I fix a scond sound card in addition to the sound device intetgrated to motherboard and use two simultaneously or individually.

Stuartli 15:49 15 Feb 2009

The answer to your question is simple and, what's more, will cost less than £3.

You need a 3.5mm double stereo adapter which is plugged into your sound card's stereo output - you then connect the headphone's plug to one adapter socket (and the mike lead to the mike output) and your speakers to the adapter's other output socket.

This is the way I do it; the computer speakers are normally the default output with the headphone's volume control being set to off unless in use.

See:

click here

Most audio stores will stock them. I only paid £1.50 for mine.

jayatissa 15:55 15 Feb 2009

Thank you very much Stuartli. I'll find the connector.Best regards. Jayatissa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?