Setting up a small PBX System.

alexgray104 19:15 13 Jun 2007

Hi,

I know you're not a phone forum, but wondered if you could help. I'm looking at starting a small business from home. At the moment we have a standard BT Line. However, I would like to setup a small pbx system. If I bought click here
and bought a couple of handsets would this work?
The sort of system I'm after is "Press 1 for mybusiness or hold the line for home" So like 2 phones, 1 business one in the office, and one home one. Then if someone pressed 1 it would go thru to the office, but if someone held the line for like 5 secs it would go thru to home.
Sorry if I'm not making much sense!
I did think about a VoIP system, but decided against it as it would mean putting a computer everywhere I wanted a phone, and it would be a bit complicated for other members of the family to operate..
Thanks in advance for your help...

Woolwell 19:46 13 Jun 2007

How many people do you want to use the phone at the same time? With just one line you can receive and make just one call at a time.

The running costs could be higher but personally I would go for 2 lines into your house - 1 for business and 1 private (ex-directory). You will also find it much easier to separate out the costs of business and private calls.

A lot of people don't like "press 1 for", etc.

Personal view - others may differ.

alexgray104 20:04 13 Jun 2007

Thanks For the Response

Initially the business will be web-based, and the majority of communication will be via email. However, at the same time, I don't want my kids to be picking up important phone calls for the business, hence why I want a pabx sort of system. I don't think, at the moment, that the usage of the phone for business calls warrants a second line.

Also, it wouldn't be a huge queuing system with hundreds of different menus, just the press 1 for mybusiness or hold the line for home. If someone pressed 1 it would direct the call to the office, where I/answering machine would pick it up. If someone held the line, it would direct the call to my house phone.

What I'm slightly confused about, is whether the system in the eBay link
click here
is suitable for doing what I require. And also whether I would require new handsets, or just stick an BT>RJ11 converter on my current ones.

Thanks.

Woolwell 20:23 13 Jun 2007

Sorry I have no experience of that system.

alexgray104 20:34 13 Jun 2007

Don't worry - Thanks for your previous help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?