Setting up a server advice

MIKE. 13:58 02 Sep 2007

I feel confident about reloading windows after formating my HDD as I have done this on various occasions. Even with the odd problem I have always managed to correct this, with help from you guys. What I would like to do is learn how to setup a server with an associated domain name etc (for no other reason I would just like to learn). I would like some suggestions on what books to read and where to go for advice.

Forum Editor 14:11 02 Sep 2007

an internet-facing web server you'll need to have a domain name that's hosted on the server, or one that is on another server, so you can point it to yours.

You'll also need to check that your ISP doesn't forbid the use of a web server on your account, and you'll need to obtain a fixed IP address for the server, and this will come from your ISP.

Bear in mind that a 'proper' web server must run on a 24/7/365 basis, and that it will need some decent protection if it is to stand much of a chance of surviving attacks and exploits.

No more waffling from me - click here for an excellent explanation of everything you need to know about running a webserver from home.

MIKE. 14:49 02 Sep 2007

Many thanks FE for your help I will look at the info you sent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?