Setting up a secure wireless conneciton

anaisuk 21:38 11 Aug 2008

Hi I am having trouble trying to set up a secure wireless network. I am using windows xp and I have a micradigital router and when I go into security on my router page I have a choice of WPA/WPA2, WPA2 only, WEP or Disabled. At the moment I am set to disabled and I realise that I need to set up a secure connection. The trouble is that when I try to do this both my sons laptops cannot make a connection so I have to keep going back to disabled so they can get online. How would I know if there laptops support WPA/WPA2 or WEP. I have not got a clue and would appreciate any help offered.

Many thanks anaisuk

mrwoowoo 01:26 12 Aug 2008

You may need to use WEP only to get them all to connect.
XP is ok with WPA if it has a relevant service pack 2 update installed.
My Vista pc will only let the pc upstairs(XP) connect with WEP.WPA is hit and miss and WPA2 a no go.

mrwoowoo 01:28 12 Aug 2008

If you use WEP,use a good password.Something like
[email protected]@[email protected] @ instead of a,and numbers are good.

mikegm7 14:28 12 Aug 2008

Whatever password you set on the router, you will need to repeat on the laptop (network card) for the two to communicate. Do you have a separate card slid in the side of the laptop or is it built in?

Miked1 14:49 12 Aug 2008

As mike hints, once you setup the router to use encryption you'll usually need to setup all the client keys to use it too and input the pass/sharekey you chose on the router.

Under XP this is usually just a matter of starting a new wireless profile for your connection and adding in the appropriate key. Unless you're using a static IP then the rest of the setup should be more or less automatic.

Mind you, if you have a custom third party wireless driver/UI setup on the client computers then I don't know where the settings would be.

anaisuk 22:28 12 Aug 2008

Thank you all for your replies. Mikegm7 one of the laptops has a built in network card and the other has a card slid in the side of the laptop. Because of this do I have to set up each laptop differently? I do have xp service pack 2 installed but I am unsure about the update. Where would I get that from?

TIA anaisuk

PC Bilbo 17:30 13 Aug 2008

Read this on how to set up click here

anaisuk 17:41 13 Aug 2008

Thanks PC Bilbo for the link. I tried to set up the network last night first on the router then on each of the laptops using wireless network setup wizard and I have to use WEP as one of the laptops does not support WPA. I thought everything was set up correctly but on both laptops I could not get on line. This is the error I got:

'Limited or no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the computer'

How do I overcome this problem I aint got a clue what to do here?

Many thanks anaisuk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone