Setting up a secure home network help

iceman_2112 15:21 04 Jul 2005

Please help.

I've set up 2 home computer systems, both running Windows XP with SP2 installed, for family useage.
There are 5 of us in the family and other friends and relatives occassionally visit and sometimes make use of the PCs.

For this reason I have set up a wireless home network, which is now working and I have secured it in the following way:

Changed the User Name and Password for entering the web browser based Wireless Router setup utility
Changed the SSID for both the Wireless Router and both Wireless Network Adapters
Used WPA PSK with TKIP encryption and a Passphrase
Used MAC address filtering

I am not currently subscribing for broadband internet so the router isn't plugged into my phone line and won't be for some time.

I'm also trying to make secure user areas for each member of my family including myself and a seperate Administrator account along with a Guest user account for visitors.

I've made a seperate simple dynamic volume on my hard disk drive to hold the Users folder, in that I have put in seperate user folders for each member of my family and am now trying to set up permissions so that everyone has full access to the users folder, but no access to other family members folders inside the users folder apart from their own.

Having made the Users folder a shared folder, then I logged onto each family members account and individually mapped the Z drive to open the particular users folder.

I did try to map each user from the Administrator account ensuring that I chose the Connect As option to select the relevant user, but it still only made a connection on the admin account. I also tried to use the Connect To option on the user profile dialogue box, but that just did nothing.

I've also been looking at using Group Policy "gpedit.msc" but have found that even though this has many of the settings that I'm looking for using them also means that I restrict what the Administrators group can do as the settings effect everyone on the local host.

So, now onto my questions:

1). Is there anything more that I can do to make the wireless network even more secure, such as VPN tunneling, and if so how can I achieve this?

2). How can I effectively set up permissions on my computers and what else can I do?

3). How can I properly set up Mapped Network drives for each user from the Administrator account?

4). Is there another group of tools/utilities that have similar features to Group Policy "gpedit.msc" in Windows XP?
(The kind of settings I'm looking at include:
Removing Map Network Drive/Disconnect Network Drive
Hide certain drives from Windows
Deny access to certain drives
Deny access to Control Panel and its components
Remove Run option from Start Menu

All these settings should have no effect on the Administrators group though as they do with "gpedit").

Wireless equipment I am using:

1 x Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway with 4-Port Switch (Model no: WAG54G ver. 2)
2 x Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapters (Model no: WUSB54G ver.4)

Thank you for taking the time to read through this and although I'm asking for a lot here any help will be greatly appreciated.

01chris 20:46 04 Jul 2005

that you need a domain controller (server) to tell the pc which drives to map when a certain user logs on.

But I'm not sure about the rest

retep888 13:02 05 Jul 2005

Sorry, can't give you more help,I think it's a bit over the top for a domestic network,you're talking in the region of a commercial standard now.

recap 11:18 06 Jul 2005

Here is one option for mapping a drive, its Windows Scripting Host (WSH) click here

recap 13:19 06 Jul 2005

Thinking of my previous post maybe WSH is not such a good suggestion in your case iceman_2112.

My reason for this is that best practice is to run a script in a test bench situation first before deploying it.

chifu 13:26 07 Jul 2005

Without a domain controller (Windows server)group policies can not be migrated between PCs automatically. Having the professional rather then the home version of XP also gives you a few extra features (can not remember all that you get, but the home version does not allow connection to a domain controller).

I assume you have the user shares on one of the PCs and want to map from the other. Set up the same accounts on both PCs (they must be exactly the same id, password etc). On the PC with the data folders set access permissions for the relevant users (make sure you do not remove the administrator access, otherwise you might totally lock yourself out of a folder).

The reason you can not have both PCs pick up the mapping automatically is because you do not have roaming profiles with out a domain controller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?