Setting up a router with a wireless network switch

HighTower 19:25 20 Nov 2006

Hi folks,

I have a Zoom router which I connect via CAT5 to a Netgear switch, this is so I can have 4 network ports rather than just the 1 that the Zoom has.

Can I therefore connect the Zoom router via CAT5 to a new wireless network switch (which also has CAT5 ports) and enjoy wireless connections with my laptop but also keep the current wired connections?

If so, anyone recommend such a device?

Ashrich 21:44 20 Nov 2006

Connecting a 4 port wireless router would be easy , what sort of area are you needing to cover , although a Mimo type router would be the better option for price/performance , if you want ADSL / Broadband coverage for all PC's as well and you are connected through BT or an ordinary phone line , then you might as well buy an ADSL modem router . All hardware of this type have their pros and cons and although I use and prefer Trendnet kit ( almost identical to ZyXel and D-Link , I would do a bit of homework and look for stuff using Atheros chipsets , but maybe not Netgear !

Ashley

Strawballs 22:17 20 Nov 2006

click here Looking at the price of the wireless access point it would be almost as cheap to buy a wireless router or modem/router depending what ISP you have.

HighTower 07:52 13 Dec 2006

Cheers guys, picked up a D-Link wireless router and all works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone