setting up router ntl

picklsey 07:44 01 Jul 2007

i will try to explain the best i can.i am going over to my sisters shortly to try and get her on line.my niece is set up for internet through ntl modem but in order to get my sister on line (second pc)i have to set up the router i am giving her.so if you,se kind people could tell the answer to the following as i know nothing about cable,and this involves a 90mile round trip i am hoping to manage it on one trip.i will check the pca site on my nieces comp. when i get there.

my nieces pc xp home

sisters xp pro (this is the one that,s not connected to the net)

i have a netgear 802.11b wireless router won,t be using the wireless option as i have no adaptor so using cables.

my main question is how do you set up a second user name and password on cable (my niece has no idea)so as i can get sis. on line.

thanks in advance for help hopefully given,i will check the pca site when i get there.

picklsey 07:47 01 Jul 2007

sorry should have said the router is 11mps cable/dsl.

Tim1964 10:46 01 Jul 2007

The username and password is for the connection to NTL itself. The ISP connection 'sees' the router as the only connection and not the PCs connected to the router.

If you turn off the router and PCs, connect the router to the modem/set top box and the PCs to the router, turn on the router and wait for the lights to settle and then turn on the PCs.

The username and password need to be entered into the router on it's set up page which for a Netgear router is 192.168.0.1 the default username is 'admin' and the default password is 'password' unless the router is an older one the the password may be 1234.

Enter the relevant details and you should be away.

picklsey 02:05 02 Jul 2007

thanks for that managed to get it set up with your help.cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?