Setting Up Router

IanTheDrumstick 15:14 25 Mar 2008

I've got a "Cable & Wireless ADSL2+ Modem with High-Speed 108Mbps 11g Router". When I run the CD to install it it brings up Internet Explorer with the IP address of the router in the search bar but then it cannot connect and says "page cannot be displayed" or something similar. I've been trying to get it working for over a year now and its just gone from bad to worse.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

BurrWalnut 15:55 25 Mar 2008

1 year, phew!

You don't need any software to set it up.

Let's start from scratch:
1. Reset the router by holding in a little button somewhere on the router for a few seconds.
2. Type the 192.168.n.n as per the manual and enter your details.

BurrWalnut 16:01 25 Mar 2008

In 2) above I forgot to say, type the router address (192.168.n.n) into a browser's address bar.

pchelper001 17:09 25 Mar 2008

stupid question...have you plugged the router into your computer first? They have to be plugged in via ethernet to begin with, for the settings.

IanTheDrumstick 17:37 25 Mar 2008

yep iv plugged it in.. iv managed to get it off the "page cannot be displayed" problem now. I just had to check "never dial a connection" in internet options. But another problem has come up. Iv used the quick set up on the cd. I just had to put in my isp name and password and it did its wizard-like work. I rebooted the router afterwards and tested it by trying to go to google but it said the search bar couldn't be opened and I was left with "page cannot be displayed". What do you think? Fiddle around with it or start from scratch without wizard?

ambra4 19:18 25 Mar 2008

Start from scratch reset the router

check that your lan card network setting is correct

click here

Access the router click the setup wizard / quick start

And enter the following information

Connection Type = PPPoA

VPI/VCI = 0/38

Encapsulation = VCMUX.

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?