Setting processes/program priorities in Win.XP

dagwoood 03:58 10 Jun 2004

In task manager you can change the priority setting for programs/processes, but as soon as the process finishes(i.e.you exit the program), the priority setting for it will revert to its default setting(usually goes back to the "normal" setting).

Is there a way to permanently set the priority level of a specific processes/program? If so, how do you go about setting it?

What I'm trying to do is set the base priority for Mozilla to a higher setting(it's set at "normal" by default)to see if it improves my speed of browsing.

Running on Win.XP, Athlon xp 2400+,768MB RAM, 40GB MaxtorPlus 8, Crucial Radeon 9200se 64MB.

Cheers, dagwoood.

dagwoood 12:33 10 Jun 2004

^

dagwoood 18:56 10 Jun 2004

^

dagwoood 02:11 11 Jun 2004

^

dagwoood 15:17 13 Jun 2004

I'd be grateful if someone could reply to this thread as I've found if I set Mozilla to a higher priority in task manager, it realy improves the speed of this site. The problem is as soon as I close my browser, in task manager the priority reverts back to its default setting. It's a bit of a pain to keep resetting the priority every time I go on the internet.

Cheers, dagwoood.

bremner 16:40 13 Jun 2004

All my reading of this includes the word temporary

ie manually you can temporarily promote the priority of a particlaur application - I have yet to see any suggestion that this can be made permanent.

dagwoood 19:22 13 Jun 2004

Thank you very much for that.

I'm amazed that you've actually found something to read with regards to setting priorities.

I've tried searches on the Microsoft site and using the "help and support" utility that comes with xp. Both turned up with no relevant info. The only thing I found was that you can do this using taskmanager, but even then, I can't recall it saying that it's a temporary measure.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

VoG II 19:28 13 Jun 2004

click here :o( but click here :o) ??

dagwoood 19:42 13 Jun 2004

VoG™, thank you for those links, that's just what I was looking for.

Cheers, dagwoood.

dagwoood 02:43 14 Jun 2004

VoG™, just to let you know, I've followed the instructions as per your second link and it works a treat :0).

The only problem was it didn't work with Mozilla set to quick launch(noticed the Mozilla icon in the notification area flicked off, then on.This obviously stops, then starts the process,effectively cancelling out what the .bat file is set up to do). If you turn quick launch off, it does start up at the priority setting I've set it at in the .bat file.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?