Setting up permissions on local network

dottm 15:48 10 Aug 2007

I am having difficulty setting up permissions to folder on my local area network and was looking for a little help or advice.

Basically i have a computer up in the atic called Jupiter, This is a file server which im intending on storing all my media and my documents.

I then have two other computer called pluto and neptune. these two are systems i use from within the house.

I want to be able to hold all of the media and my documents on jupiter and be able to access them from naptune and pluto. There are 5 different users of the computers pluto and neptune.

within jupiter there is 3 hard drives, one on which windows is installed, one that contains all my media (music, videos etc) and one which i will contain all "my documents" on,

I have set the hard drive with the media on to share on the network and set the permissions as "everyone" to have full access.

Now it seems to be getting a little difficult with setting up my documents, on the hdd containing my documents i have 5 "my documents" folders now i want the user on either pluto or neptune to be able to access their corresponding my documents folder. However i cannot seem to achieve this.

I have tried creating 5 user accounts on jupiter and set the permissions for each user but i want to be able to access the folders from the other computers. If i set a permission for everyone to have full view i can access each folder.

if there is not any way to specifically define the permissions is there anyway i can set a password for each folder.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Scott

brundle 16:06 10 Aug 2007

Which OS & filesystem on each computer?

dottm 16:26 10 Aug 2007

they are all running xp pro with sp2

brundle 16:33 10 Aug 2007

NTFS for each drive?

brundle 16:38 10 Aug 2007

Is the problem that all computers can see all folders, or that specific PCs cannot view the `My Documents` folder you want them to be able to access?

dottm 16:41 10 Aug 2007

all ntfs drives, they can see the shared drives but if you access it when i have attempted to put permissions on it then it says i dont have the privlages and to contact a local Admin

brundle 17:06 10 Aug 2007

Have you tried creating corresponding accounts/user names on the host PC, including passwords for the accounts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?